The FJ Black Business Center is located in the heart of Tallahassee on Tennessee Street across from Leon High School.
The land was purchased by the Black family in 1898 and was the site of the You Pump It gas station from 1979-1986.
The gas station was replaced by the buildings that now occupy the wooded 1.28-acre property. Mr. Black envisioned a location where small businesses could operate in an environment that would promote creativity and productivity.
Building 545 was completed in 1986 followed by building 541 in 1994. The buildings are a pleasing combination of brick, vinyl, and tile, however, the floor plans differ in arrangement and décor which provides a variety of office options for tenants.
Francis James Black died at the age of 96 in 2010, but his interest in small business is carried on by his three children. Ownership of the property now resides with the FJ Black, LLC, created by his children and named in his honor.
Mr. Black was a well-known Tallahassee native who was admired by everyone he met for his honesty, deep Christian faith, and endearing jokes and stories. His legacy lives on through the FJ Black Business Center.